Update SQL Server – Stand-alone
As of January 1, 2016 the Center for Technology & Training (CTT) can no longer support SQL Server 2005 (all versions including Express and Enterprise) as a result of Microsoft’s decision to terminate support for it. It is recommended that customers using SQL Server 2005 (all versions including express and enterprise) update their server. The CTT is continuing support for SQL Server versions: 2008, 2008R2, 2012, and 2014. For help locating your SQL Server version, review the Locate SQL Server Version documentation.
The CTT has created an SQL Update installer which updates SQL 2005 to SQL 2012. Alternatively, the CTT provides both 64 bit and 32 bit SQL Server Express installers for versions 2008R2, 2012, and 2014.
Agencies running Roadsoft or MERL databases using purchased versions of SQL Server (Enterprise, Business Intelligence, Standard, etc.) should contact their office technical support for SQL Server update assistance.
Update SQL Server Express – Stand-alone
For installations of SQL Server Express on a stand-alone (single machine), download and install the SQL Express Update.
1. Navigate to either the Roadsoft SQL Express Downloads page or the MERL Downloads page (installer is the same).
2. Download and save the SQL Express Update installer to the downloads folder or desktop.
3. Right click on the installer icon.
4. Select Run As Administrator.
5. If the User Account Control window appears asking to allow the program to make changes, select the Yes button.
6. When the InstallAware Wizard opens, follow the prompts by selecting the Next button (no modifications are needed, simply allow all installation defaults).
7. Select Finish when the InstallAware Wizard indicates completion.